Monday, May 17, 2010

Cheesecake, with a twist!

                               Image from GiGi Reviews

Recently, I have ventured into trying different recipes and dishes that I thought I would never, ever enjoy.   One of these recipes is cheesecake.

It wasn't until I was at a superbowl party at my friend's house that I came upon the sinfully, rich flavor of cheesecake. Ever since then, my boyfriend and I have tasted different cheesecakes and even made our own, which I must say turned out to be wonderful, even for the first time.

Unlike the cheesecake we made, the recipe I am including in this entry has been handed down to my grandmother from her friend.  The twist in this recipe is the additional layer that is added almost at the end of the baking cycle.

Instead of using a spring-form pan,  a pie plate is used. This is interesting and practical, since not everyone has a spring-form pan.

I might add, this is one of the best cheesecake recipes!

Make this a day ahead.

For the crust:

  • 1 1/4 cups graham crackers
  • 1/4 cup softened butter (1/2 stick)
  • 1/4 cup of sugar
  1. Grease 10" pie plate. Sprinkle with 2 T crumbs.
  2. Set aside an extra 2 T of crumbs.
  3. Mix rest of the crumbs with softened butter and sugar. 
  4. Pack firmly in the pan and bake for 8 minutes at 375.
For the filling:
  • 2 8oz. packages of cream cheese- softened (regular type, fat free or reduced calorie won't work well, from experience)
  • 1 tsp of vanilla
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 3 unbeaten eggs
  1. With an electric beater at low speed, beat cream cheese until smooth and fluffy. 
  2. Gradually add vanilla, sugar and eggs (one at a time).
  3. Beat until creamy.
  4. Pour mixture over crumbs and bake for 20 minutes at 375.
  5. Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes.
  6. Increase oven temperature to 475
: For the twist:
  •  1 pint of sour cream
  • 1/4 cup of sugar
  • 1 tsp of vanilla
  1. Stir sour cream with vanilla and sugar until the sugar dissolves.
  2. Pour over cream cheese layer and sprinkle with remaining 2 T of crumbs.
  3. Bake for 10 minutes.
  4. Remove from oven and let cool at room temperature.
  5. Refrigerate and leave in pie plate.
I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment